As its policies as a national university, KU seeks to achieve "world-leading research," "reliable social collaboration," and "impressive international collaboration." To that end, we will conduct creative and pioneering research and provide support for transforming our research results into innovations. Also, we will comprehensively and strategically carry out the creation, acquisition, management and effective use of intellectual properties, so as to promote I-A-G collaboration activities as links between KU and society.
In April 2015, the Office for Strategic Research Planning and the Industry-Academia-Government（”I-A-G”）Collaboration Management Center were integrated into a single new organization: Academic Research and Industrial Collaboration Management Office of Kyushu University（AiRIMaQ）. With the introduction of the University Research Administrator（URA）system in the autumn of 2012, we have systematically assigned URAs throughout KU. The roles of the URAs include providing information helpful to academic research and I-A-G collaboration, facilitating the submission of proposals for the acquisition of external funds, and strengthening support systems for other activities concerning such issues as intellectual property. The recent integration aims to develop an even more efficient and smoother support mechanism for academic research and I-A-G collaboration. Specifically, we seek to help promote both mission-driven and curiosity-driven basic and applied research activities at KU, facilitate open innovation that will be strongly sought in the years ahead, and assist in the development of an infrastructure that enables researchers to work out solutions through interdisciplinary cooperation. As its policies as a national university, KU seeks to achieve “world-leading research,” “reliable social collaboration,” and “impressive international collaboration.” To that end, we will conduct creative and pioneering research and provide support for transforming our research results into innovations. Also, we will comprehensively and strategically carry out the creation, acquisition, management and effective use of intellectual properties, so as to promote I-A-G collaboration activities as links between KU and society. We would appreciate your continued understanding and support.
As of April 2015, the Academic Research and Industrial Collaboration Management office was newly established by integrating the Office for Strategic Research Planning and the Industry-Academia-Government（”I-A-G”）Collaboration Management Center.
History of the former Office for Strategic Research Planning
- December 2002
- The Office for Strategic Research Planning was established within the Advanced Research Office to actively and expeditiously facilitate strategic research planning, and activate, advance, and individualize research activities at KU.
- October 2008
- The umbrella organization of the Advanced Research Office changed its name to the Scientific Research Promotion Office.
- April 2011
- The umbrella organization of the Scientific Research Promotion Office integrated with the Industry-Academia-Government Collaboration Support Office and established the University Research Administration Office.
History of the former I–A-G Collaboration Management Center
- June 1994
- The Kyushu University Advanced, Science and Technology Center for Cooperative Research（KASTEC）was established to implement I-A-G collaboration projects considered to be in high demand by society.
- June 1995
- The Venture Business Laboratory（VBL）was established to promote original R&D that can evolve into a venture business, and to support creative and highly skilled professionals.
- May 1998
- The Business Liaison Office （BLO）headed by the president was established as a framework for overseeing our collaboration with industry.
- July 1999
- The Technology Transfer Promotion Office（TTO）was established as a department for the management, utilization and transfer of intellectual property.
- January 2000
- Thanks to investments made by 350 KU's professors, " Kyushu TLO Company Limited"（KU TLO）, was established.
- October 2003
- Under the University Intellectual Property Headquarters Development Project, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology（MEXT）approved KU's proposed project. At the same time, Kyushu Institute of Design was integrated into KU. Thereafter, the Intellectual Property Management Center（IMAQ）was established by expanding the Technology Transfer Promotion Office, and by integrating functions to make I-A-G collaborations pursued by KU more practical. At the time of its foundation, the six sections of planning, liaison, technology transfer, start-up support, design synthesis and general affairs were established. IMAQ is now the central access point for collaboration with KU. The Kyushu University Advanced Science and Technology Center for Cooperative Research（KASTEC）was reorganized and expanded as the Art, Science and Technology Center for Cooperative Research, Kyushu University.
- May 2006
- The Project Support Group was established within IMAQ.
- April 2007
- KU was selected as one of the implementing organizations for MEXT's FY2007 University Intellectual Property Headquarters Development Project, "Development of a System to Promote International I-A-G Cooperation." To implement the project, KU newly established the "I-A-G International Collaboration Center" within IMAQ. This new center specializes in joint research and sponsored research projects with and technology transfer to overseas companies.
- August 2008
- KU acquires all issued stocks of Kyushu TLO Company Limited（KU TLO）.
- May 2009
- IMAQ was shifted to a "group system" from a "section system." The three groups of planning, start-up support, and design synthesis were combined to form the coordinate group. The I-A-G International Collaboration Center within IMAQ was shifted to the I-A-G International Collaboration Unit. The name of the general affairs group was changed to the general affairs & contract group.
- May 2013
- Following examination of the operating process and organization of IMAQ, the organization was restructured from the five groups of coordination, liaison, project support, technology transfer, and general affairs & contracts into the four groups of planning, research promotion, intellectual property, and general affairs & contracts.
- September 2013
- The name of the organization was changed from the Intellectual Property Management Center of Kyushu University（IMAQ）to the I-A-G Collaboration Management Center of KU. The office was moved from the EC Building on Hakozaki Campus to the I-A-G Collaboration Innovation Plaza in Momochihama.
History of the Academic Research and Industrial Collaboration Management Office
- April 2015
- By integrating the Office for Strategic Research Planning and the I-A-G Collaboration Management Center, the Academic Research and Industrial Collaboration Management Office（AiRIMaQ）has been newly established as a management office for academic research support and collaboration between industry, academia（university）and government at KU. The seven groups of consultation & office operation, research strategy promotion, grant support, research alliance, intellectual property management, academic research promotion support, and industry-academia collaboration & community outreach support were established.
- April 2016
- October 2016